ENGLE-FAMILY HISTORICAL ACCOUNTS
I have provided these pages so that my Engels cousins would have a place to
post 19th century historical accounts or pictures of their more immediate
ancestors which might be of interest to all branches of the family.
Descendants of Peter Engels Jr.
- Wain Martin, who is descended from Henry Auter Engels, provided this
account of his ancestor William Henry Engels who with 30 others drove a herd of
cattle from Arkansas to California during the gold rush a distance of some 2200
miles! The story was
adapted from the article on William H. Engels in Washington County History
written by Bill Engels, a descendant of William Henry Engels.
- Captain Charles Morgan Engles was a river boat captain on the White River
of MO for many years. This obituary
was provided by Brenda Jackson Mahan of Arkansas.
- Wain Martin, who is descended from Henry Auter Engels, provided this account of his ancestor Henry Auter
Engels.Henry A. was born in Kentucky in 1802 and moved to Arkansas when he was
nineteen. He was a Sheriff for six years and died at a young age, possibly
- Balthazar Kramer moved to New Geneva PA with his father and family around 1797 from Frederick. There is father established the famous Kramer glass factory. In 1800, Balthazar married Elizabeth Engels, daughter of Peter Engels Jr. About the outbreak of the war of 1812, he joined the army and fought in some bloody battles in Canada. He elected to stay in the military rather than return to glass making and died at Fort Smith Arkansas in 1823 on the desolate Western Frontier will his family awaited him in Kentucky.
Descendants of Margaret Weimer w/o Clemens Engels
- In 1851, Mrs Nancy Hufford was tried for the Arsenic poisoning of Rebecca
Engle in Allegany Court. Rebecca Engle was the second wife of Samuel Engle son
of Clemens Engels. The
transcript was provided by Kenneth Engle a descendant of Samuel. This case
had all the earmarks of a current high publicity trial with battles between
forensic experts, sex, and religious bias. Savilla (Long) Engle was one of the
- Our departed cousin Max Engle was the most dedicated researcher of the
Engle family that I ever knew. I started the master tree based his hand drawn
trees of the descendants of Clement Engle. Max died in 1997 at the age of 88.
Donald Miner, a cousin by marriage, came into possession of the following
account of Max's grandfather written by Max. Twelve years in the life of George Adam Engle from
1860 to 1873.
- In 1862 a seventeen year old boy from Iowa drove a team of oxen west to
make a new life. He never married but ultimately settled in the town of Mondovi
Washington. Mondovi is the town where the Webmeister's (Ken Engle) grandfather
Oliver Rueben Engle settled for a while around 1900. I first heard of him in
1990 when some people called who were cleaning up the old Mondovi cemetery. His
short biography can be found here.
Descendants of Elizabeth Graeff w/o Clemens Engels
- This is a brief account of the frontier
life of Catherine Engle Boyd. Catherine Engle b. 2-28-1815 married on March 19,
1831 James Boyd II, d. February 6, 1881 granddaughter of Clemens Engels. From
the web page of Barbara Boyd Stewart who is no longer with us.
Descendants of Michael (Ingle) Engels
- The probate records of Mathias Mathew
Ingle son of Michael Engels. Probated in Indiana in 1890 he lists many of his
Return to home page