Kenneth J. Engle's
Family History

Samuel Engle

Samuel, the son of Clement Engle was born August 26, 1809 in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. He was the twelfth child of Clement and Margaret Weimer Engle. His father died when he was three years of age. When he was older, his mother apprenticed him to Joseph Mills, a cooper, in the nearby town of Salisbury. Samuel finally bought the Mills cooperage and other property but in 1837 he sold it to Jacob Welfley and moved to Garrett County, Maryland.

In 1838, Peter Huff deeded to Samuel, 200 acres of "Mt. Nebo" for $1300, to which he added over 100 acres over time. When the Engles came to Mt. Nebo they lived in the Huff log house, but later built a large frame house nearby. This house was destroyed by fire and was replaced by a handsome brick house.

Among the many business ventures of Samuel was the operation of a grist mill near Accident on Bear Creek, near where the state fish hatchery now stands. Built about 1835, it was equipped with the best machinery of that day. The creek water supplied ample power at all times except during the driest seasons, when it was necessary at times to stop the wheel and gather a "head" of water. A mill race brought the water to a big overhead wooden wheel. The large frame mill building housed the machinery, as well as the grain, corn meal, buckwheat, and wheat flour that was manufactured. Farmers brought their grain from as many as twenty miles away. Engles mill was in operation until 1929 but has since been razed.

About 1844 Lewis Swallop (a son-in-law) built a frame house near the mill for a residence and store. For many years, Engles Mill was a US Post Office. When the democrats were in power, the Kaese Mill was the post office but when the Republicans were in, Swallop had the post office in his store. The Kaese Mill is still standing today.

Samuel's land was located in the great maple sugar producing section of Garret County. The maples of the area were huge and some were 400 years old. A sugar house was built to convert the sap to maple sugar and the sugar camp was named "Englewood". It was one of the largest and best equipped sugar camps. It was still in operation in 1951, being operated by two of Samuel's grand daughters. When an old man, Samuel fell with one arm into the boiling sugar maple and he never entirely recovered from his burns.

Samuel use to say that when he first married, he had only fifty cents, but by hard work and good management, assisted by the cooperation of his own family and probably some inheritance, he became one of the most prosperous as well as highly respected citizens of Garrett County.

Samuel married three times. He had six children by his first wife, one child by the second and two by the third and last wife. He first married about 1828 to one Elizabeth Shirer, daughter of Gertraut and Peter Shirer Sr. who was born on 18 February 1813 in Salisbury PA.

Children of: Samuel Engle & Elizabeth Shirer
Walter 7/24/1829 2/27/1913 Mary Jane Wiley/3,Sarah Wiley/8,
Mary Elizabeth Wiley/1,Mary Hoye/0
Savilla 11/9/1830  13/1/1908  Perry Long/8
Florissa 4/11/1833 17/8/1855  Lewis Swallop/3
Solomon 7/26/1835 9/9/1908 Alartha/3
Rebecca 18/1839  12/3/1891  (adopted)Lewis Swallop/9

Elizabeth Shirer Engle died 28 September 1848 and was buried in the Engle Cemetery, Hare Hollow Road, Garrett County, Maryland. (near Jennings, Maryland. There is a big stone wall around the cemetery on top of Mt Nebo.)

Samuel married for the second time, Rebecca Broadwater (died 1 Oct 1851) of New Germany. They had one child, Martha, born in 1851, who married Ross Compton of Grantsville, Maryland and they had three children. It is at this time that a Mrs Nancy Hufford was accused of murder of Rebecca by poisoning. She was acquitted after a well publicized trial.

Samuel married for the third time, Mrs. Catherine (Hoye) Ridgely.

Children of: Samuel Engle & Catherine Ridgely
Ralph 9/2/1856 2/11/1926 Etta Viola Layman/11
Ida May 8/29/1859 6/6/1948 Reverend Joseph Lee/3

Samuel Engle died 28 July 1888 and is buried along side his wives in the family cemetery near Jennings, Maryland at the top of a hill on the old farm just off Hare Hollow Road. (I found his possible headstone on a graveyard on his farm but ground hogs had toppled it onto its face so no picture was possible-kj engle)

The historical society in Oakland MD had a book of family farmyards with this entry for the "Engle Cemetery (Hare Hollow Road out of Jennings)"
ENGLE (Hoye-Ridgely), Catherine (mother), 1825-1920 wife of Samuel
ENGLE (Shirer), Elizabeth (in memory), d. 9/28/1848, 35 yrs, 7 mos, 10 days; Rebecca (in memory, d. 10/2/1851, 29 yrs, 4 mos, 24 days, wives of Samuel, 8/25/1809-7/28/1888
ENGLE, George W., b. 1/13/1852-_____(11 Jul 1853 son of Walter)
ENGLE (Wiley), Mary J., 9/16/1828-2/10/1854, (wife of Walter)
ENGLE, Robert, 1/22/1897-6/1/1897

Walter Engle

Walter, the son of Samuel, was born July 24, 1829 in Grantsville, Maryland. He was the first child of Samuel and Elizabeth Shirer Engle. Walter married four times: three of the marriages were to sisters named Wiley.

Walter first married about 1850 to Mary Jane Wiley, daughter of Holmes and Elizabeth Yeast Wiley of Grantsville.

Children of: Walter Engle & Mary Jane Wiley
Elizabeth 23 Nov 1850 5 Oct 1918 Jacob Schweitzer/
George Washington 13 Nov 1852 11 Jul 1853  
Richard Francis 15 Jan 1854   Charlotte Bartlett/1

Mary Jane Wiley Engle died Feb. 10 1854 and is buried in the Engle family cemetery near Jennings. Walter married for the second time on 23 March 1856 to Sarah Anne Wiley, daughter of Holmes and Elizabeth Yeast Wiley.

At the beginning of the Civil War in 1865 Walter, Sarah and their children emigrated from the old home in Maryland to the new West and settled in Preston Twp, Fillmore County, Minnesota. Walter became a successful farmer and breeder of short horn cattle. He was a man of stanch character and an uncompromising advocate of social and political reforms. In 1882, he raised his flag in honor in support of the standard bearers of the then new Prohibition Party and was later successful in helping to rid his town and county of saloons which was the first in the state.

Children of: Walter Engle & Sarah Ann Wiley
Amanda 25 Dec 1857 12 Jan 1861  
Charles 6 Dec 1858 17 Oct 1880  
John D 6 Nov 1860   Eunice Dowling/5
Newton Wilson 17 Sep 1865 1937 Julia Phillips
Frank 28 Jun 1869   Jessie Quillan/2
Fanny 28 Jun 1869 1942 Albert E. Nelson/4
Chauncy Hobart 2 Jun 1871 1941 Gertrude Boice/6
OLIVER RUEBEN 7 Oct 1874 21 Jan 1931 Olive Adele Chase/6

Sarah Wiley Engle died Feb. 5, 1876 and is buried in the Preston Minnesota Methodist Cemetery.

Walter married for the third time, Elizabeth Wiley in 1877 and they had one child, Lottie, who died September 26, 1878 when she was 30 days old. Her mother died on Aug. 25 1878 and is buried beside her sister in the Preston Methodist Cemetery.

Walter married for the fourth and final time in 1879 to Mary A. Hoye. Around 1911 Walter and Mary returned to Deer Park, Maryland where they stayed until Mary died. Walter then went to live with his son Newton in Chicago, where he died on Feb. 27, 1913. He is also buried in the Preston Cemetery.

From an obituary published in 1913:

Walter Engle was born July 24, at Meyersdale, Pa. A few years later his father, Samuel Engle removed to Grantsville, Md. where the old homestead still remains. He was brought up there. Before the days of many railroads, when only twelve years old, he was sent on long trips with a four or eight horse team over the Old National Pike to Wheeling, W.V., hauling out produce and bringing back supplies for the family and neighbors.
At about the age of twenty-one he was married to Mary Jane Wiley, and settled on a part of his father's farm. After a few years she died and he was again married to Sarah Ann Wiley, with whom he removed to Minnesota in 1865.
He chose Preston as the most promising place to settle and bought a farm just at the edge of town, where he lived and labored and where the family grew up. After the children struck out for themselves, Father Engle sold the farm and moved into town. A few years later he sold again and returned to old Maryland where he lived until the death of his last wife in 1900, with whom he had lived happily for thirty years. Since then he has spent most of his time with his children in different parts of the country. At time of his death he was with his son Newton in Chicago.
From his obituary, he was married four times and was the father of twelve children, eight of whom survived him, Mrs. Lizzie Schweitzer of Niagra Falls, N.Y., Richard F. of the Hawaiian Islands, John D. of Minneapolis, Newton W. of Chicago, Frank of Spokane, Wash., Mrs. Fanny Nelson of El Monte, Calif. and Hobart and Reuben of Preston. There are thirty grand children and six great great grandchildren.
Mr. Engle early united with the church and has been an active and consistent member of the same for about twenty years. In his private life he was a man of sturdy character and Christian living. Through summers harvests as well as the more quiet winter time, he always maintained family worship in his hone. He taught his boys by work and example to be sober, industrious, and honest, and to attend and have reverence for the services of the church.
Mr. Engle was an ardent Prohibitionist. His interest in the temperance cause was the one absorbing element of his public life. He Considered the destruction of the liquor traffic the one crowning achievement for the church and society to accomplish in order to save the nation.
His last illness lasted about a month but he died suddenly last Thursday. On, Monday a week ago his son John asked him if he felt his end was near. He replied that he did not know as it was. He said he was not in any hurry to go, but that he was, as he had been for a long time, ready to go at any moment. He said, "As I look back over my life there are not many things I would change if I could. I have not an enemy in the world that I know of. 1 am at peace and harmony with God and am ready to go at any time."
His last resting place will be by the side of his second wife, with whom he lived for twenty years, and who was the mother of eight of his children, and who bore with him the burdens and trials of the busiest part of his life.
As a father, a neighbor, a Christian and a citizen, he will be cherished and missed. He has done what he could to make the world better. He was prepared to meet his God. He has gone to his reward.
Funeral services were held Sunday, under the auspices of the I.O.O.F. lodge at the M.E. church, Rev. Tibbetts officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the cemetery, South of town.

Oliver Rueben Engle

Oliver Rueben Engle was born October 7, 1874 in Preston, Fillmore County, Minnesota, the eighth and last child of Walter and Sarah Wiley Engle. His family always called him by his middle name., Rueben. He grew up on the family farm and graduated from Preston High School. His graduating class, consisting of three students, was the fifth from that school. He gave an essay on "Reflections". He went on to graduate from Winona Teachers College where he met his wife-to-be.

On June 27, 1898 he married one Olive Adell Chase, the daughter of Samuel Gates and Elizabeth Myers Chase. A printed announcement showed that they had an "At Home" after August 3, 1898. The Chase family arrived in Plymouth MA in 1630 from England on Winthrop's fleet.

In 1899, the young couple immigrated West to the state of Washington, leaving the fertile, well watered Minnesota, for the semi-desert Eastern Washington State region. They left the two generation family farm for an area of marginal farming but land which could be acquired through homesteading. Olive stated in later years that they had a lovely furnished home in Preston but every thing was too easy, and therefore, uninteresting. Perhaps, they left because Olive's mother was not pleased with the marriage. She was socially ambitious and Rueben's family were strictly religious and did not participate in social affairs such as dances.

They lived for a short time in the Spokane area where their first child Elizabeth, was born. Rueben worked in a drugstore for a time. His brother Frank and his wife Jessie also move to Spokane about this time. Rueben then got a job managing the government store on an Indian reservation outside of Spokane and the family moved to Mondovi across the Columbia River from the Reservation, while brother Frank stayed in Spokane. The census below shows Elizabeth was not born yet and Frank was not married.

1900 Census Spokane County, Washington, 12 Jun 1900
Oliver Engle Head Oct 1874 25 MN MD MD
Olive A Wife Jun 1878 22 MN IL PA
Frank E. Bro June 1878 31 MN MD MD

Rueben acquired an 160 acre homestead for a few hundred dollars provided you lived on it for two full years. The farm was located between Mondovi and the town of Waterville, northeast of Wenatchee. While dry farming on the homestead seemed to grow only large sagebrush, he purchased or leased 100 acres adjacent and it would grow corn that was ten foot tall. At first they spent the winters in Mondovi but eventually they spent two full years in order to "prove up" the homestead.

To make ends meet, Rueben opened a small general store and post office in their house. He named the place Jameson after his only son. Every so often he would travel all day with the horse drawn wagon to get supplies for the store. On one trip he returned with a RCA Victor "Victrola" which had a hand crank, big round horn, and used cylindrical waxed discs. People came from miles around to see this new wonder. The store was not particularly successful, probably due to the fact that he refused to sell liquor, in keeping with his strict religious beliefs.

Their nearest neighbor was three miles away as was the one room school house. The school was also used for church services and Sunday School of which Rueben was in charge. Olive taught and played the organ. The minister served several churches, so when he was on the road, Rueben would preach the services. Some Sundays, there was no minister in the area so Rueben would preach in the morning at their church and later at other nearby churches. His daughter Elizabeth, remembers "wagoning" to as many as three places on a single Sunday. Rueben used to joke that he filled in as a preacher for church services, some funerals, and even married one person, Olive Adele Chase.

The homestead was not profitable so he moved the family to Richland in the southern part of Washington State adjacent to the mighty Colombia River. This was a delightful place - green with many trees. Wooden troughs were used to carry water from the river to irrigate the fields. Occasionally a fish would accidentally swim up the troughs and the family could enjoy a tasty salmon dinner. This area was quite popular with the Indians who came to fish in the river and shop in town. The area is just West of Walla Walla where 50 years earlier, a famous Methodist minister, Marcus Whitman, and his entire mission were massacred by the local Indians. Whitman is generally credited with starting the great migrations over the Oregon trail.

Olive's mother, Elizabeth Chase, desperately needed help harvesting her crops back in Preston, so Rueben moved his family (5 kids now), back to her large farm. After a few months he rented a small farm where he raised pigs, grew Alfalfa and wheat, and assisted on surrounding farms.

He still did not get along well with his mother-in-law. About the year 1914, Rueben sold his pigs for a good profit and moved his family to Southern California. His sister Fannie and her husband Albert Nelson were Realtors in the LA area and convinced him of the opportunities for land development. He invested in some property (Lake Elsinore) but the property was inaccessible and wells only produced hot mineralized water. It was later to become a resort area with Olive owning several small lots around a then dry lake at her death.

He then moved the family north to the Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo area. He drove an oil truck with a team of four horses from the oil fields of Bakersfield over the mountains to the coast. He did carpentry work at night. He was very well liked and was urged to run for Superintendent of Public Schools in one town and for Mayor in another. He suffered from severe Migraine headaches which would knock him out for days so he could not hold a full time job. The doctors couldn't help him but told him to work out of doors.

He then returned to LA in the Fall of 1919 so that his two oldest daughters, Elizabeth and Mary, could attend the Methodist University of Southern California. They settled in the town of El Monte where he bought a small walnut ranch near his sister Fannie.

1920 Census Los Angeles County, CA 5 Jan 1920
Rueben O.Engle Head 45 MN MD MD
Olive A Wife 43 MN MN(IL) PA
Elizabeth A. Dau 19 WA MN MN
Helen M. Dau 17 WA MN MN
Mary A. Dau 16 WA MN MN
James R. Son 11 WA MN MN
Nellie I. Dau 8 WA MN MN
Nellie I. Squires Sis/law 49 MN MN MN

Rueben was very strict, very honest and very religious. Drinking, smoking, dancing, and even playing a card game like bridge was taboo in his family. However, he had a wonderful sense of humor, was a fine public speaker, and always had a joke or story to tell. He and Olive were leaders in the El Monte Methodist church and he was a life long member of the Prohibition Party just like his father.

Before his death, he had put all four of his daughters through college. He had help -- as each of the girls graduated, they in turn helped their younger sisters. Nellie and Helen became teachers, Mary a nurse, and Elizabeth a social worker. Olive undoubtedly was a major stimulus in the girls attending college, as in her later years she was heard to remark on several occasions that: "In my day (1890's), all the young women attended college".

In his later years Rueben suffered from Black Lung disease. Then he had several small strokes and finally a large one, but he lived for several more years. He died on January 21, 1931. His certificate of death stated the causes of death as: 1. Cerebral Hemorrhage 2. Chr Myocarditiis, Hypertention Myocardial. He was buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale Calif.

Children of: Oliver Rueben Engle & Olive Chase
Elizabeth Geraldine 8/12/1900
Spokane Wash.
7/21/1992 Paul Heavner/3
Helen Marie 4/6/1902
Mondovi Wash
  George Wilken/2
Mary Ann 11/20/1904
Mondovi Wash
Aug. 1970 Leon Godshall/0
Little Sister" 11/20/1905
Mondovi Wash
at birth  
JAMES ENGLE 6/28/1908
Jameson Wash
2/2/1961 Eleanor McConnell/2
Margarette Henderson/0
Nellie 7/15/1911
Waterville Wash
8/18/1983 Robert Reinhart/2

Olive Adel Chase Engle died 12 April 1967 and is buried beside her husband, son James, and daughter Nellie in Forest Lawn Cemetery. Those of us who knew her were greatly inspired by her kindness, love of children, dedication to hard work, and devotion to church.

James Richard Engle

James Richard Engle was born on June 28, 1908 to Oliver Rueben and Olive Adel Chase Engle. He was born on a homestead east of the town of Waterville, in central Washington State.

This area is semi-desert, due to the blockage of moisture by the Cascade Mountains, which run north/south through the state. The native terrain was characterized by tumble weed, cactus, and rattlesnakes. Cold, icy winds blew in from Canada in the winter, sometimes carrying snow, but the temperature often exceeds 100 degrees in the summer.

From an early age, James Richard was called Dick, by his family and friends and this was the name he went by the rest of his life. His significant memory of his early days on the farm was the story he told his children as to how he got his permanent smile. He claims to have been riding home from school on a horse, sitting in front, with his older sisters behind when a rattlesnake spooked the horse dumping his sisters on the ground. The horse then made an uncontrolled dash for the barn, which took him through the backyard with its wire clothes line. The horse ducked under the wire but Dick caught the wire in his screaming mouth, which promptly unhorsed him. In his adult years he did have the faint suggestion of scars at each end of his mouth which did enhance his smile.

In 1911, his family abandoned the homestead in Washington, and returned briefly to his grandmothers farm in Minnesota. They then moved on to the LA area and then up the coast to San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles. They returned to El Monte where he attended El Monte High School, but his parents transferred him to Los Angeles High School about his senior year. In El Monte he was socializing with the "wrong crowd" (girls?). At the new high school some boys tried to get him to drink some whiskey and when he refused they beat him up, held him down, and forced it down his throat, nearly killing him.

After graduation, unlike his four sisters, Dick did not go on to college. He worked at a Montgomery Ward warehouse for a while, filling catalog orders. He did this job while wearing a pair of roller skates. He then got a job as a clerk in a Safeway store. He continued to date a young lady he met while in high school despite his families objections. eleanor mcconnell

She was named Eleanor McConnell, daughter of William Cecil and Edna Blanch Miller McConnell of Ontario Canada. Dick's father died in January 1931, about the time the great depression hit the West Coast. Shortly before, Dick and Eleanor had moved to the Seattle area, where a son, Kenneth James was born on Nov. 9, 1931.

In 1934, they returned briefly to the LA area, where their daughter Joanne Barbara was born. They returned later that year to Washington State, settling in the small rural town of Kent outside of Seattle. Times were extremely hard in those days, and Dick found work wherever he could. He worked for a while in an ironing board manufacturing company for four dollars a day. The Union convinced him and others to strike for five dollars a day. The company promptly fired them all which finished Dick's factory career. He went to work in a grocery store which didn't pay any better but you could get cheap groceries. They rented a large two story house and took in boarders to help make ends meet. Work for Eleanor or any woman was nearly impossible in those days.

These were extremely hard times for Dick, as he worked routinely 10-12 hour days, six days a week. His leisure time was spent making home brew, and gathering a group of friends and boarders around a piano on Saturday nights, singing such songs as, "On Moonlight Bay" and "Show Me the Way to Go Home". He sang great harmony. Once a year they would rent a cabin at the local lake, Meridian, for the family for a week. He would then come up on the weekend and they would go dancing at the lakes dance hall. The annual Xmas tree cutting expedition was also great fun for him. Several families would drive a few miles out of town, into the lush surrounding forest, to cut the family tree. The family members would scatter throughout the forest to select their favorite tree. Dick's job was final arbitrator and to cut down the tree and tie it on the roof of the car. One year he selected his own favorite, despite the fact he was told by all it was too tall for the house. After arriving home he discovered it was too tall and was faced with the choice of cutting off the top or bottom. He couldn't stand the thought of either so he removed the stand and drove a nail through the hardwood living room floor, thus nailing the tree to the floor. All were delighted with this solution except the landlord.

In 1940, he was able to move Eleanor's parents into their house in Kent, from a rest home in California. In 1941 he got a better paying job with the Tradewell grocery store in Renton, and the family moved there as well. On December 7, 1941 the family was cleaning the new house prior to moving in, when they heard of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Further radio reports that day indicated that Japanese ships were being allowed to leave the Seattle harbor as we were not officially at war with Japan. Dick became incensed because the ships normally carried scrap iron which could be made into bombs. He and his son promptly drove to the harbor so he could verify the report itself. Upon arriving, they did spot two Japanese ships departing, but all he could do was stand on a hillside in frustration shouting "Somebody bomb the sons-of-a-guns!".

In 1942 Dick was transferred to the Auburn Washington Tradewell grocery store and was made manager (his lifelong dream) while Eleanor became Assistant Manager and their 11 year old son, head box boy. With the increased income they were able to buy their first and only house. The War had brought a measure of prosperity to the Dick, as compared to the depression days. For a couple of years they were even able to rent a lodge with another family at the base of lofty Mr. Rainier between Xmas and New Years. This allowed the children some snow to play in as the Green River Valley (Kent/Auburn) had little snow, just much fog and mist. In the early summer of 1944 Dick got the first real vacation of his working career. With his son, he departed town for parts unknown (Eleanor had to mind the store). On the way out of town he asked his son what he would like to do most and he replied--"swim in the ocean". Dick wanted to buy a cocktail so he got out the map and discovered that Crescent City, Calif. was the closest place, as neither Oregon or Washington sold cocktails and the ocean was freezing that far North. After visiting Crescent City (it was still to cold to swim), they wandered through Oregon fishing and returned home. Since he had a few vacation days left, they picked up his daughter Joanne and left for Eastern Washington., leaving behind a note for Eleanor saying, "Have took Joanne". (sic) They drove to the old homestead on the Colombia River where he lived as a young child. The farmhouse was in ruins and the fields were blowing sand and sagebrush. They visited Lake Chelan where he stated that his father used to trade with the Indians, and they visited the mighty Grand Coulee Dam, which was under construction at the time.

In June of 1944, Dick attended a quarterly meeting of all the Tradewell managers in Seattle. Tradewell gave a bonus, based on the profits of the meat department. As the butchers were unionized and the OPA (Office of Price Administration) controlled the prices, the meat department always lost money, so he received no bonus and again Eleanor made more money, as she was on straight salary. To make matters worse, the stores were owned by Mormons, who didn't permit smoking in their meetings. He sat through the long winded meeting, only to be told "no bonus". For some time Eleanor had been wanting to move back to California as she had severe hay fever in Washington and missed her family. When Dick returned from the meeting, she struck-- 72 hours later they had quit their jobs, sold the house for $3500 cash, loaded the moving van, and were driving to California.

In California, they rented a beach house from his brother-in-law Dr. Leon Godshall., in the LA beach suburb called Playa Del Rey. While they had plenty of money in the bank from the sale of the house and jobs were plentiful with a war on, Dick could not handle the idea of not going to work every day. Within a few days his hands were shaking so bad that he couldn't pick up a coffee cup in the morning. He then went to work for Helms Bakery, driving a bakery truck door to door. It was entirely on commission, and involved long 10-12 hour 6 day weeks but it paid well for the times and he enjoyed his work. Unfortunately, he was not diligent in collecting monthly bills from his customers and therefore the good salary was never realized. He like to describe his job as, "Driving around the neighborhood tooting your whistle and all the house wives came out to get bread" (sic)

In 1945 Dick had a serious ulcer attack, which required removing most of his stomach and replacing it with pig skin. He had no medical insurance, so the family assets were quickly depleted, plus he lost his job. While recuperating, his drinking became a serious problem, resulting in separation and ultimately a divorce from Eleanor in 1946. He moved back to Renton Washington for a bit and worked in a small grocery store owned by his lifelong friends, Bob & Thelma Standahl. He returned to LA where he got a job with the Examiner newspaper.

Children of: James Richard Engle & Eleanor I. McConnell
Renton Wash.
  Naomi Robert/3
Carol Singleton/0
Joanne Barbara 5/27/1934
San Pedro CA
  Harold Wilson/1

He met Margaret (Margo) Henderson at the newspaper and they were married in 1949. The week he was married, they were awarded a Examiner "dealership" in the Artesia/Bellflower district, so his best man (son), got the use of their prepaid honeymoon cottage in Ensenada Mexico. A paper dealer was an independent business man, and the job involved long hours, as was typical of his many jobs. He had to personally deliver a country paper route of 62 miles every day, distribute papers to his newsboys, put the papers out at all news stands, and finally try to collect bad debts for his paper boys. The country route was particularly grueling as the area was plagued with dense ground fogs for most of the winter, so his son used to deliver the country route on weekends. Despite Dick's penchant for hard work and Margo's moderate business sense, he eventually defaulted the dealership and a performance bond put up by his Mother. The failure was partly due to William Randolph Hearst Jr. who was just put in charge of the Examiner to make a mark for himself and by Dick's soft heart when it came to collecting overdue bills.

As his wife Margo, was originally from Florida, they moved to Gainesville in 1950. Margaret got a job as the secretary to the University of Florida football coach (one of the inventors of Gatorade), and Dick got a job driving a laundry truck that serviced hotels and motels in the North Florida area. Again, he had long hours with little pay. These were the days of segregation, when both blacks and whites who performed manual labor could hardly make a living wage. He had a black helper who was paid $2 per day to carry the heavy bags. They bought a small house on the edge of a swamp, that had a few alligators and many water moccasins and where their small dog was killed by a Diamondback rattlesnake. He did enjoy the "redneck" lifestyle, with its all weekend coon hunts, where you sat under a tree and listened to hounds baying in the jack pine forests while you sipped white lightning. His son, now in the Air Force stationed at Cape Canaveral, would visit on weekends and the three of them would go rabbit hunting at night. Dick would drive the car and man the spotlight with Margo on one fender and the son on another. Margo was a crack shot and got almost all the rabbits.

In 1956 Dick and Margo returned to California, settling in the suburb of Inglewood, to be nearer to his children and by now, grandchildren. He got a job at Hughes Aircraft as a time keeper. For the first time in his life he had a 40 hour job that paid a decent wage. He most enjoyed visiting with his two baby grand daughters while his son was living in Veterans Housing on the UCLA campus. He originally did not understand how his son could subject his family to such poor living conditions rather than get a paying job, but one day he saw the salary paid to some consulting engineers from IBM at Hughes ($6/hr !!), and then he understood the value of sacrificing to obtain an Engineering Degree. He even gave his son $10 toward his school expenses, with which he bought his first slide rule. Whenever they visited his son he would say, "Let me see that thing I bought you".

On January 3, 1961 Dick had a massive cerebral hemorrhage and died in his sleep. He was survived by his Mother, his four sisters, his two children, and his wife Margaret. He was buried in the Engle family plot next to his Father at Forest Lawn in Glendale California.

Eleanor died in Phoenix AZ in 1998 and was cremated with her ashes scattered over the ocean per her wishes

Kenneth James Engle

When Ken was growing up all he was ever told about the family history on his Father's side was that they were "Pennsylvania Dutch", so he thought that they were from Holland. On his Mothers side, his Grandfather spoke with a Scottish accent so he assumed he was also Scottish but his father was born in Ireland. Actually, his Mother's line includes as many Palatine Germans as Scotch-Irish.

Ken was born in Renton WA outside of Seattle on the Southern edge of beautiful Lake Washington on 9 Nov. 1931. He had a delightful childhood growing up in small WA towns of the Green River Valley despite the fact that this was the heart of the great depression. His Sister Joanne was born in 1934 during a brief return to Southern California. His first 13 years in Washington was a joy for a small boy. Playing in the forests, streams and rivers was great fun.

The outbreak of WWII was a significant event in his young life. Not only did his Father finally have steady employment as Manager of a grocery store but his Mother was Assistant Manager and Ken eventually became head box boy. However, his Father was a hard task master and whenever possible Ken worked at other odd jobs. With all the money he made he was able to buy complete set of Boy Scout equipment. For example, uniform, backpack, canteen, tent, flashlight etc. But alas, he was never able to us it in the forests of Washington State.

In June 1944, as he was just finishing the 7th grade, the family up and moved back to Los Angeles. The moved into a spacious two story beach house owned by a wealthy relative in the beach community of Playa Del Rey. Ken quickly adopted to the new way of life of roaming the ocean front surrounded by military installations such as anti-aircraft guns, search lights, barbed wire gun emplacements etc.

Ken enrolled in Venice High School which at the time had 5000 students in grades 7-12. The overcrowding was due to lack of construction combined with the booming employment in the many nearby war plants. California schools were much less demanding than in Washington State so he was able to get respectable grades with minimal effort. He dabbled in Sports playing tackle on the JV Football team at 132 lbs and one semester of baseball.

He graduated from High School in 1949 and as his parents had divorced a few years earlie, he did not expect to go to college. He did apply for an NROTC scholarship to UCLA and a requirement was that he be first accepted in college. He did not win a scholarship but found out that UCLA was free. ($29 a semester including football tickets.) He decided to go for two years and then enter a military pilot training program so he majored in Math as that had been his easiest subject in High School. However, competition was fierce with many EX-GIs still in school and he had no study disciplines. After one year he flunked out which was the same month the Korean War broke out.

As his 19th birthday approached, the draft board sent a notice for him to appear for reclassification with no school deferment. Rather than face the draft, he joined the Air Force for a four year hitch in November 1950. This turned out to be a excellent learning experience necessary for dealing with life. Exposed to young men from all walks of life and all parts of the country gave him more insight into the beauty of the United States and its strengths. Exposure to brutal segregation in states like TX, MI, and FL gave him a view of the most ugly parts of American society. The Air Force gave him a trade by training him to be an Electronic Technician working on Radars, Guide Missiles, etc. He spent his last 3 years as a Missile Guidance Technician in the 1st Pilotless Bomber Squadron which was developing the Matador Missile. the first atomic bomb armed missile in the world.

In 1954 he was discharged and returned to Los Angeles to find a job. His Mother and Stepfather had moved to Salinas CA which was only an agriculture town. He easily got a job working at Hughes Aircraft as an Electronic Technician in their Guided Missile Department. He continued working on and off at Hughes when he returned to college. He first had to do well with two years at Santa Monica Junior College in order to reenter UCLA. In 1956 he married a Naomi Robert and they had their first daughter Deborah in 1958 and then moved into Veterans Housing on the UCLA campus. In 1958 he also passed a rigorous entrance exam and entered the College of Engineering as a Junior. In 1959 their second daughter Marianne was born and he graduated with honors in 1959, ten years after leaving high school.

He was accepted on the Hughes Aircraft work-study program towards his Master Degree at UCLA and they continued to live in Veterans Housing for a while. The first year he worked 26 hours a week and carried 9 semester hours. After that he worked full time and he continued his graduate work which took until 1963 to complete, the same year his Son James was born. In 1957 Sputnik took to orbit and work at Hughes switched abruptly to space technology. Ken worked on the Surveyor Spacecraft the first vehicle to land on the Moon and on Syncom I the first geosynchronous communication spacecraft to be launched into space.

Dismayed with the cost of housing and the big city environment for raising children in L.A., Ken and Naomi opted to move to Phoenix AZ area where he took a job at Motorola initially developing radios for manned spacecraft such as the Apollo and LEM the Lunar-lander. Motorola was a successful aerospace company which pleased Ken as he was able to work on a variety of interesting projects. Some of these projects were deep space probes to the outer planets, satellite radios, radar systems, covert communication systems, and ballistic missile electronics.

In 1982 Ken was divorced and all three of his children had graduated from High School and were off to BYU. All three eventually got graduate degrees at various colleges. They eventually married and gave Ken a total of 10 grandchildren, 4 boys and six girls. His son James had a son Joshua so the family surname will continue for a while.

Ken remarried to a Carol also a Mother of three in 1985. In 1988 he quit Motorola to take a Sabbatical and try consulting. In 1989, "Peace Broke Out", with the Berlin Wall coming down and opportunities for Aerospace employment dropped dramatically putting an end to his consulting career.

In 1993, Ken rejoined Motorola to work on the Satellite phone system called Iridium which was the first Hand-Held satellite radio to be deployed. He joined the group responsible for getting licenses to launch the 44 satellites and to operate the hand-held sets in any country that wanted service. US domestic regulation discussions took place in D.C. and world wide regulations were negotiated in Geneva which required him to work in these places for months on end. There were also many meetings in Asia and Europe that he was required to attend. He rapidly built up a large number of Frequent Flyer miles so he would occasionally take Carol with him.

On his over seas trips, he often took a week or two of vacation and he and Carol toured many interesting countries around the world. Among the many places they visited were Toronto, Australia, New Zealand, Machu Pichu Peru, Buenos Aires, and Rio in South America. In Europe they frequently would rent a car and drive around for a week or two and visited Italy several time including the ruins of Pompeii and Rome. Spain and Portugal several times including Alhambra, Madrid, Toledo, Costa Del Sol, Santiago de Compostello in the Northwest. In France they visited Paris, Toulouse and the wine route of Alsace. Ken visited Tokyo, and Seoul several times but only once to New Dehli, thank heavens.

In 1993 they took a two week bus tour of the UK including London, Ireland and Scotland and briefly visited Limerick where one of Ken's German ancestral lines lived before moving on to the US and then to Canada. In 1982 they had driven around Germany for two weeks mostly in Bavaria including Hitler's Eagle Nest and Mad Ludwig's Castle and vastly enjoyed the people and the country side. Ken retired in January 2000 and on Sept. 18, 2001 they flew to Frankfurt to start another two week tour but this time intended to include some of the Lowland countries, Berlin and Solingen. His cousin Adell had found many Clemens Engels in the church register in Solingen and they were to meet her and visit Solingen in the hopes they might find some connection with the family.

In preparation for the visit, Adell had located another researcher of Engels from Solingen, a one Henri Engels of Strasbourg France. Eureka! They promptly visited him and found he had an ancestral record back to Caspar Engels (I) He was also aware of a group of relatives who left for America in 1754 including Clemens Engels aged 7, father Johann Peter Engels (Sr), and uncle Peter Engels (Sr). Subsequently, they made a brief visit to Solingen and found the iron workers guild mark of Caspar Engels in their museum there. Ken could now fill in his complete ancestral story back to Caspar Engels (I). With Henri's help he found the boats the Engels arrived on to the USA and many 18th century records of the Engels in PA and MD.

In 2005 Carol and Ken took a cruise starting in Athens to the Greek Iles and visited many interesting Archaeological sites including Minos on Crete, Parthenon in Athens and Santorini Island. In 2006 they took a cruise starting with a land tour of Alaska and then down by ship to Vancouver. In 2007 they had a "Last Hoorah" and took a cruise to Asia starting with 3 days in Bangkok and then by ship to Singapore, Hongkong, Shanghai, Nagasaki, and finishing on the Great Wall of China. They were chased by two typhoons around the South China Sea and could not visit Viet Nam, Taipai, or Okinawa as scheduled.

Ken Engle: 9 Nov. 2008. This is my 77th birthday and I have accomplished my goals with this web site. I will post this final version and make Ebook versions of both the web site and ancestral tree available for down loading from the site. It has been a wonderful journey exploring the Engle Family past and finding so many blood cousins in the U.S. and France. Maybe my Mormon Grandchildren will pick up the bug and do similar research on my other three lines. The Chases arrived in 1630 on Winthrop's Fleet and the Millers left Germany in 1709 and stopped in Ireland before immigrating to US and then on to Canada. There is also my Scotch McConnell line descended from a soldier in the English Army who fought at Waterloo. Some wonderful stories there! Adieu my cousins.

Return to First Page